Friday 25 March 2011

Slipping through time - John

It's 5 p.m. and i'm rushing to finish all of the chores that weren't supposed to be started for another few hours. Why, you may ask? The hell-spawn day known as report card day had arrived; the day that had been solely created to shatter all the youthful dreams of the young and aspiring doctors, astronauts, engineers. It was on this very day that reality had taken me by the head and shaken me awake. It said to me: "John, you're a grown up now. You can now be held accountable for all of your actions." Reality wasn't kind. My first step into high school had been leading me downwards and as time progressed, the lower i had sunk. Lessons started out monotonous and boring but as months passed, the equations and explanations written on the board turned into hieroglyphs. Then came the fateful day, as report cards were distributed out i saw simple numbers recognizable by anyone. 45, it said, was your mark in math. Despair, fear, anxiety, any bad emotion you can think of, all flooded into my body. The wait had been unbearable, the span of time between my arrival at the house and the arrival of my parents seemed like a decade. I racked my mind for solutions to this problem, an escape route, a method of softening the blow, anything to save my life. My brain responded by telling me the same thing that reality was saying: "You are responsible for this. Deal with it."

And then it happened, all the anxiety, fear, doubt dissolved as one emotion stayed behind. Adrenaline. it was adrenaline that told me it was a good idea to follow my friends on a bus to nowhere in the middle of the night when i should have been at home. Adrenaline blocked out reason and pushed me forward. The night was young, and my friends and I were going on an adventure. The bus eventually came to a stop at Hooters, a restaurant that would be closed down years later due to their unsavory back room deals. For the time being thought, we were happy. My adrenaline started to lose its grasp of my mind as it spoke the first logical sentence of the entire night: "what now? you're awfully far from home. How will you explain this to mom and dad?" Once we left the restaurant at roughly 10:30, the rigorous journey had begun. A walk to the closest of our houses would take more than an hour, and no one had the energy to make it. We pushed through the doors of the restaurant and embraced the cool evening breeze. Have you ever had that feeling where you just wanted to get up and move? It's as if you've been stationary for far too long and you had to check if your legs could even take you to where you need to go. I felt like it. So my friends and i just started running, not knowing the exact location of where we were heading but we knew if we headed in a straight line, we'd reach a destination. Adrenaline rushed through my system again, surging through every part of my body as if it were blood. And then everything fades back to black.

I stretch my arms and prepare to resume writing my English project. I can't even remember how many times I've opened this very same document, only to turn away from lack of motivation. The short burst of energy that had onced possesed me dissipated once i saw the screen. Words hadn't appeared, couldn't appear, won't appear. My mind was drawing a blank. It's as if the Neuralyzer from Men in Black was embedded into this page and a simple glance at the screen wipes the mind of and budding ideas. There wasn't much that came to me as i though of more to write about so i returned to surfing the inernet once again. The clock read 6:27, meaning that more than 2 hours had passed without a fraction of a word appearing on the page. Frustration, anger, desperation, my mind furious at the though of having to continue with the endless stream of assessments. The emotions finally become too much to handle and i force any and all thoughs onto the page. Finally, it's come to and end. The torturous task of writing any more ends with the last of this sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment